“Why am I bored ?”
This is a question people ask far too often. What is even more bizarre is that people are very often bored and they don’t even know why, or what they can do to cure their boredom.
There are actually many reasons why people get bored, but today there is absolutely no reason for EVER suffering from boredom.
Technology has meant that we have, literally at our finger-tips, tools and gadgets that can keep us entertained for hours on end. Even if we are waiting for a train or waiting to see a doctor, mobile technology provides us with communication devices and access to the billions of pages of information on the internet.
Likewise, modern TV provides 100’s of channels to suit all entertainment tastes.
That sounds fantastic……but I’m still bored !
Okay, we’ve identified that people are getting bored and that it can’t be to do with a lack of entertainment. Therefore, the boredom must be originating from the inside of them.
Causes of Boredom
There are actually only a few causes of ‘internal boredom’ and they can all be overcome… with a bit of effort.
Living a Life of Routine
Many people are happy and feel ‘safe’ doing the same thing day-in-day-out. However, this lack of ‘free spirit’ can result in boredom.
Answer these simple questions (honestly) :
- Is your life treading the same path week after week ?
- Do you eat the same food on the same days of the week ?
- Do you watch the same TV shows ? Are those shows mentally stimulating, or do they follow set patterns ?
- Are you in the wrong job ?
- Are you with the wrong partner ?
- Are you suffering from stress ? (This is a hidden cause of boredom)
- Is there anything you can do to vary your daily / weekly routine ?
- Could you take a different route to work – to see a different part of town ?
- Could you get a different newspaper, to read the news from a different perspective ?
- What can you do to meet new people ? (Join a club, even if it’s just an on-line group, to share similar views and interests)
Some people suffer boredom which runs a lot deeper. These issues can’t be cured by simple variations in daily life. However, this type of boredom can be overcome if we mentally stretch ourselves.
When was the last time you learnt a new skill ?
Our brains are designed to learn. However, many people stop learning (through choice) by the time they are 20 years old (some even stop learning by the time they are 10 years old !!).
There are lots of places you can go to learn a new skill. YouTube has lots of tutorials from learning how to cook, to fixing your car, to re-decorating your house. All available for free.
Get qualified with a Mooc
Also online are the new free (or very cheap) online courses, called Moocs.
These are produced by Universities all over the world. You can get certificates in all sorts of subjects and never have to leave the comfort of your own home. They are based in different countries, but you don’t have to live in that country to take the course. here are some examples :
The courses are designed to be an introduction to something a bit more technical and they can last from 6 to 8 weeks.
Something a bit more practical
For some simple courses which can easily be completed in a weekend try Udemy. Many of their courses are free and do everything from learning about computer programming, studying the basics of psychology, learning to play a guitar, or practicing Yoga.
Issues of psychological boredom
- Having no goals and, therefore, having nothing to drive you can create boredom.
- Fearing the future, which leads to being stuck in a rut.
- Lacking confidence, which leads to holding back on many things. (e.g. Not resigning from a job that you are bored in, because you lack the confidence to take on a new role)
- Being held back by false ‘internal programming’ telling you that you are not good enough to ‘go for your dreams’.
How to cure boredom in 6 easy steps
If none of the previous tips help, then consider taking the following actions :
- Identify what exactly it is you want from your life. Go wild with this one. What do you REALLY want. Dream big and you will be inspired (Even if you don’t follow through, this will relieve your boredom for an hour).
- Clear internal blockages, using EFT (Tapping). This will provide you with an easier path to success.
- Set a meaningful life-plan that is going to stretch but not stress you. Or, if that’s too much to think about, create a simple plan for things you’d like to do in the next 12 months.
- Create a vision board to motivate you.
- Set goals and a timetable for the attainment of those goals – with meaningful milestones and check-points.
- Work on your time management skills to make the journey to success is a pleasurable experience (if it is a painful one you will just give up).
People who have a compelling life plan and a challenging, but doable, set of goals never get bored. They always have something to go for. Having planned their time well, they are also able to schedule in relaxation & recharge time.
As we said at the start, there really is no reason for anyone getting bored today. A little effort can go a long way to banishing boredom for good. You just need to be shown the way.
If you are suffering from boredom then feel free to search through this site. We do have all the tools needed for you to have a much more compelling future, and this will eliminate today’s boredom.
Please feel free to share this article with anyone who feel might be bored, using the links below.
Image credits: Woman in red top&Woman sitting on floor(David Castillo Dominici) / Boring Exiting Buttons(Stuart Miles) all at freedigitalphotos.net